CKTC PTA Students Assemble Amtrykes

In February, PTA students at CKTC learn about PT and pediatrics. As a part of the class, they learn about the therapeutic uses of equipment, which include the Amtryke. The Amtryke is a customizable therapeutic tricycle that is designed to successfully allow any child or adult the ability to ride a bike by improving strength, endurance and flexibility. It also allows them to simply have fun.

"I feel that if my students can understand the role of the Amtryke and build one, they can make the proper requests, assessments, adjustments and accommodations as a licensed PTA for any of their clients" said PTA instructor Aimee Carter.

Carter also stated "With the help of AMBUCS, I have personally contributed in giving nearly 300 Amtrykes to deserving children, adults, and Veterans. I have performing Amtryke trainings to therapists throughout the country. In addition to this, I also serve as the advisor for the Junior AMBUCS fo Lawton chapter for area high school students. We have over 20 high school students and meet on a monthly basis. We do our own fundraising by making homemade salsa and provide assistance to all 3 AMBUCS chapters in Lawton. Our last trip was in Pittsburgh, PA where we worked on a house for Habitat for Humanity and help present nearly 50 Amtrykes. My goal is to inspire the next generation of therapists to think outside the box as well as participate in community service."

AMBUCS is a non-profit, 501c3 with a mission to inspire independence and mobility. This is performed as an organization by providing scholarships for therapists, making the Amtryke available and safe in addition to constructing ramps at homes and businesses. The first Amtryke was inspired and built by a physical therapist in the 1990’s by the name of Sue Haywood, whom spoke to CKTC PTA Students before assembly of the Amtrykes began.

Posted in Uncategorized.